How far is from Gondar to Bahir Dar, to Debre Tabor, From Addis Ababa, or from Lalibela? Gondar is a tourist city. A number of people flock to see medieval ruins and religious adventures. Due to the high number of visitors, the buses, private cars, and planes are on demand.
It is usually necessary to check the distance and appropriate way of traveling from one town to another. Flight and bus schedules are necessary. Many visitors want to know how to travel from Gondar to another city for more adventure and visitation. Here, I will show you how far from Gondar to another city and the best way to travel there.
Where Is Gondar Ethiopia?
Gondar (Gonder) Is a historic city in Semen (northern) Gondar Zone, In the Amhara Region. The City was the capital of Ethiopian from 1632 to 1855, from Fasiledes to Lij Isasu the second. Today, some of the ruins of the castle structures persist and are enclosed for tourists and visitors. More than 200,000 people live in Gondar today. And it is the second biggest city in Amhara.
Where Is Gondar Situated?
Gondar is situated in the north of Lake Tana and southwest of the Simien Mountains, on a latitude and longitude of 12°36′N, 37°47′E at an elevation of 2300 m (7500 ft) above sea level. Gondar is north of Bahir Dar, west of Mekelle, south of Aksum, north of Addis baba and west of Lalibela.
How Far is from Gondar To Bahir Dar?
Gondar is located at Latitude and longitude of 12°36′N, 37°47′E, and Bahir Dar is located at 11°36′N, 37°23′E. The shortest distance, by air from Gondar to Bahir Dar, is about 110 km (70miles). That is a 10-minute plane trip.
A minibus is available from Gondar to Bahir Dar, at a cost of fewer than 3 dollars or less. It takes about 3 or 4 hours to get from Gondar to Bahir Dar.
A contract taxi or a private car is the best option to travel on land from Gondar to Bahir Dar. The best way to get a fat contract car is to consult with your hotel’s front desk.
How far from Gondar to Bahir Dar?
On feet- 35 hours or more
By car-3 hours or more
By plane-10 minutes or more
How Far is from Gondar To Debre Tabor?
Debre Tabor is a small town located in the east of Bahir Dar. It is located in Debub(southern) Gondar zone, in the Amhara region of Ethiopia, at latitude and longitude of 11°85′N, 38°01′E. It has an elevation of 2706 meters (8,878 ft) above sea level.
Debre Tabor has more than 48 springs, and the development of the city came around them.
To travel from Gondar to Debre Tabor, you may have to fly to Bahir Dar and take a car to Debre Tabor.
How far from Gondar to Debre Tabor on land? It is about 155 km (97 miles) to travel from Gondar to Debre Tabor by car. Generally, the distance between Debre Tabor and Gondar is about 102 km (63 miles).
How Far is Gondar From Addis Ababa?
Addis Ababa is located at latitude and longitude of 9°05′N, 38°74′E. So, how far is Gondar from Addis Ababa? The distance between Gondar to Addis Ababa is 420 kilometers (261 miles). It takes about an hour to travel by plane from Gondar to Addis Ababa.
Driving distance from Gondar to Addis Ababa is 657 kilometers (408 miles). Considering, the 80 km/ hour average speed of most cars that travel from Addis Ababa to various cities, and depending on the quality and width of the road, it takes about 9 hours to get to Gondar. It is not only how far is Gondar from Addis, but also how often the car stops on the road and how long you stay before you start driving. Usually, buses, stop for lunch and sometimes to use bathrooms on the road.
If you are on some crazy adventure, and you are traveling on foot, considering the average waling speed that is 10 km/ hour, it might take you about 72 hours to get from Gondar to Addis Ababa. It is about four days without rest or up to six days with rest in between.
How Far is Gondar From Lalibela?
How far is Gondar from Lalibela? This is probably a much-asked question since many tourists want to know how to travel from one tourist attraction to another. Since Gondar and Lalibela are on most visitor’s plans, there are many tour operators that provide packages. Most travels with the tour guides are done by private 4 by 4 car. Day one is usually arrival at Bahir Dar, after 7 hours of a drive with some rest on the way. You visit monasteries and the Blue Nile. The next day, excursion at the lake tana and more monasteries. On the third day travel to Gondar and visit the monasteries and palaces. Forth day, to Lalibela. Then after a day or two, drive to other monasteries and historic places. And finally, back to Addis Ababa.
Lalibela is located latitude and longitude of 12°03′N, 39°04′E.
So, how far is Gondar from Lalibela? Gondar from Lalibela is about 352 kilometers. The main challenge is not how far is Gondar from Lalibela, the challenge is how to get there. Unlike many cities, there is no direct bus from Gondar to Lalibela. This may be due to the elevation where Lalibela is, or due to the city buses are not allowed into cities. You need to take an early morning bus, I meant early as 6 am to Gashena then in the afternoon takes a bus to Lalibela.
A trip to Gashena costs up to 150 or more birr and the second bus to Lalibela takes up to 2 hours and may cost up to 50 or more birr. Total is about 6.250 USD
|How far is from Gondar to Bahir Dar 112 km||2-3 hours||3 USD or more||138 USD|
|How far is from Gondar to Debre Tabor 150 km||Up to 2: 20 hours|
|How far is from Gondar to Addis Ababa 657 km||9 hours or more||77 USD|
|How far is from Gondar to Lalibela 352 km||Up to 6 hours||6.25 USD in total||77 USD|
|How far is from Gondar to Debark 77 km|
|How far is from Gondar to Aksum 352 km||Up to 7 hours||1:40 hours|
Check the airline’s website for the best estimation. If you are local and have a passport, then you will have a discount. If you fly in the country with Ethiopian airlines, then you will have a discount on your local travel.
- Sometimes, it is better to worry about how fast the cars drive or how often we stop on the road instead of how far is from Gondar to another city. The cars or buses have their own start and stop trends.
- Second, flight time differs. Usually, there are only one or two local flights per day, depending on the demand. A flight from Lalibela to Gondar is usually at 8 PM afternoon, so make sure the flight schedule before deciding.
- If you traveled into Ethiopia with Ethiopian airlines, you are eligible for a big discount on a local flight. Consult the front desk at your arrival, or while you book a ticket at a local flight.
- Many bus trips are not a stroll in a park. The climate is usually not harsh, except in areas like Danakil depression, Bahir Dar, and Metema areas. Taking a bus to Gondar to Addis, you need to cross a small desert area, and without a ventilation system. The cultural differences may be a shock to some visitors. You will be traveling with a rural population as well, then you should be prepared for some uncomfortable situations. Usually, the buses won’t allow anyone to stand for long trips. But make sure to sit in front where it is secured and where everything is visible to watch.
- It is always best to ask for directions, instead of waiting for something to happen. You could follow with GPS or ask for directions if there is anyone who speaks your language.
- Buses stop if you ask to buy water or anything else.
- Be back on the bus on time, if you stop for lunch. Make sure the bus is visible while you sit at the restaurants. Or you can stay on the bus if you prefer.
- Sometimes, you need to change busies. They may ask you to transfer on to the next bus to enter city areas. Make sure they have agreed to share what you unpaid when you enter the first bus. Don’t add more. They don’t ask for more, if they do, you don’t have to add any more money.
- Long-distance travel is not usually fun. Choose your mode of transport wisely.